Thursday 3 November 2011

artfirstprimo at Kew and Beyond

Welcome back art aficionado's. Today I went out and about in city of cultural delights that is London. I took an underground train for a change heading west for the splendid Kew Gardens to witness the delights of Autumnal colours as only Kew can display; which can be best witnessed from the wonderful tree-top walkway; whose rust coloured iron supports almost blend imperceptibly with the autumn colours around it them. And speaking of stunning architecture I also experienced the simple sweeping curved elegance of the Sackler crossing the beautiful bridge designed by John Pawson. 
However, today's excursion does not of course mean I have left the painted facsimile world of art behind, because later on at 18:00 I continued my teaching at City Lit, Covent Garden with part seven of Masters of the Renaissance which was part two of Michelangelo's life in a lesson called: 'Survival and Competition'. Looking at the Master's rivalry with other artists and the paucity of his surviving work in the medium of drawing especially in comparison to Leonardo. Why are there approximately 600 surviving drawings by Michelangelo compared to approximately 6,000 surviving drawings by Leonardo; given that Michelangelo (89 when he died) lived so much longer than Leonardo (67 when he died)?  This is just one of the topics we discussed in the classroom while we looked some Michelangelo's greatest drawings.
But now just a brief reminder that I, artfirstprimo, will be conducting two free National Gallery tours tomorrow at 11:30 and 14:30. All are welcome, and as usual I will not be revealing my choice of paintings I will be looking at until we alight on them in the rooms of the Gallery; indeed I myself will not make up my mind what I will be looking at until I arrive at the Gallery tomorrow. But if you fancy knowing which artist I will be looking at and fancy something shorter than my 60 minute tours you could attend my free National Gallery 10 minute talk at 16:00, which will be on Girolamo Francesco Maria Mazzola, usually referred to as Il Parmigianino - 1503-1540.
See you there at this talk which will be in room 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment