Friday 25 November 2011

artfirstprimo Back on the Road with the Wilton Diptych

The day after my visit to the Leonardo I was back on the road again, back to my old itinerant ways. I found myself, yet again, on a train platform as usual. This time in Grantham, Lincolnshire; I was returning from giving a lecture to the curiously named Holland & Kesteven DFAS, a lively and intelligent fine art society.  The lecture I gave to Holland & Kesteven was the story of the mysterious painting, by artist unknown, called the Wilton Diptych.  Though much is known about the Wilton Diptych, such as the identities of those in the painting, there is still much that is unknown.  Such as when precisely was the Wilton Diptych painted, who painted it and how did it end up in Wilton House from whence it was bought by the National Gallery.
Because of the mysterious origins of the Wilton Diptych it has since its acquisition by the National Gallery gone under this title. The Diptych part of the title indicates that it's a two panel painting and Wilton part of course relates to its known origin of Wilton House.

However, as the train now speeds along (late) and the night closes in I have to leave the Wilton Diptych behind.  It's time to think about my next assignment today, it's time to return to the life of Michelangelo in part 3 of his life. I return to the City Lit, Covent Garden immediately upon leaving this train at Kings Cross to teach part seven of Masters of the Renaissance. Until the next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment